While I was looking at The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook on Amazon, I found a sample of the recipes in a downloadable PDF. It has 10 recipes from the book, including the unofficial recipe for Lamb Stew with Dried Plums! With the recipe in hand, I set out on my next cooking adventure.
|The Hunger Games - Lamb Stew with Dried Plums|
Adapted from "Katniss's Favorite Lamb Stew with Dried Plums" in The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 3.5 pounds of lamb, cut into 1.5" pieces
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 pound of baby carrots
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 pounds of potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups dried plums (pitted prunes)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can ginger ale (12 oz)
- Mix salt, pepper, and flour in a large freezer bag.
- Add lamb and toss to coat meat evenly.
- Heat oil in a large pan and brown meat in batches.
- Remove lamb to a side plate.
- Remove any excess fat from the pan.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are golden.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup of water.
- Place onion-garlic mixture and lamb into a large dutch oven.
- Add beef stock and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add baby carrots and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, celery, dried plums, herbs, and ginger ale.
- Simmer for another 45 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Salt to taste.
I hope you guys enjoy taking a bite out of Panem. Until the next great adventure...
UPDATE (1/17/2012): The flavor of the stew tasted a lot better the next day (and even more the day after). The herbs and dried plum flavors all melded together nicely so the thyme didn't stick out as much.