Subscribe: Follow Me on Pinterest

Ads 468x60px

Friday, December 23, 2011

Baking Adventure: Gingy Gingerbread Cookies from Shrek

Merry Christmas-Eve Eve! This Christmas season, I decided to have an Baking Adventure with Gingy Gingerbread Cookies!
Gingy from Shrek
If you're looking for a tutorial on how to make Gingy, you have to check out Diamonds for Dessert's blog. She does such an amazing job! I love her attention to detail! I wouldn't have been able to make these as successfully if it weren't for her helpful tips and detailed guide.

For my Gingys (Gingies?), I used the Thin, Crisp Gingerbread Cookies recipe from Cook's Illustrated and the Sugar Cookie Icing recipe found on allrecipes.com.
Homemade Gingy Gingerbread Cookies
Here are a few helpful notes:
1. I didn't roll out my dough as thin and didn't bake them as long as the recipe stated. As a result, my cookies were more thick and soft than crispy, but I was okay with that.
2. The cookie recipe had too much ginger for me taste. If I use this recipe again, I'm going to cut down on the ground ginger.
3. I also noticed that the Gingys expanded in the oven so when you are forming them, you need to make him skinnier than you want him to be. Then he puffs up into the perfect size. My first batch ended up looking like little marshmallow men. 
4. Finally, instead of using a piping bag for the icing, I used a Food Drawing Pen that I got from Daiso. It was only about $2 and has an exchangeable tip for different widths of writing.
Food Drawing Pen
I was really happy with how my Gingys turned out! My friends and family enjoyed torturing eating them. (Those monsters! Haha!) But seeing them enjoy the food I make is really the best compliment. I hope you all have a warm, sweet, love-filled happy holiday season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...