|Hagrid's Rock Cakes from Harry Potter (Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies)|
HAGRID'S ROCK CAKES (CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES)
Adapted from Quaker's Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Yield: approx. 57 Tablespoon-sized rock cakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, oil, and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined flour mixture; mix well.
- Add oats and craisins; mix well.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Note: I refrigerated my cookie dough overnight because I wasn't going to bake it the same day. I think the chilled dough (along with this version using less butter) played a roll in my cookies not spreading, but you might not have to chill the dough. Let me know how they turn out if you did or did not chill them! :)
Fun Fact: Rock cakes are actual things served during teatime in Britain! They're not just a treat from the magical world of Harry Potter. I've never tried them in real life so I can't compare my version to the traditional British rock cake, but I'm sure you can find authentic recipes online. :)